Problems and Benefits of Building a DamHome >> Articles >> Engineering Careers >> Problems and Benefits of Building a Dam
Dams can offer huge benefits in terms of electrical power generation and irrigation. Many massive dams worldwide are a tribute to the achievements of civil engineering and electrical engineering. These great feats of civil engineering are not without problems, however, and there are potential disadvantages as well as benefits to take into account.
Some Problems with Dam Building
Risk of failure – when a dam fails it can be catastrophic. As recently as recently as 2004 the Big Bay Dam in
Environmental – dams may destroy wild life habitats, drain wetlands, and cause river pollution by reducing the river flow to a level where the river can no longer self-cleanse. Farm land can be ruined by salt produced by the irrigation process.
Cost – dams are very expensive to build and may not provide sufficiently economical electrical power generation, water supply, or irrigation.
Some Benefits of Building a Dam
Hydroelectric power - electrical power generation is a major benefit which may be cheaper and environmentally safer than energy derived from fossil fuels or other electrical engineering sources.
Irrigation – regions with poor or unpredictable rainfall can be turned into fertile farmland.
Water supply – providing dependable water supply for urban or industrial use.
Flood control – holding back and channeling potentially dangerous water flow.
Famous Dams Worldwide
The Hoover Dam in
The Three Gorges Dam in
- Offers career programs in accounting, cosmetology, massage therapy, physical fitness training, and more.
- Provides hands-on training led by instructors who have relevant, on-the-job experience.
- Each campus features a public salon and spa for student practice.
- Campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET) and Council on Occupational Education (COE).
- 11 campuses across California, Texas, Nevada and Idaho, as well as 8 additional Milan Institute of Cosmetology campuses.
- Financial Aid
- Many programs require externships, allowing students to gain real-world experience.
- Approved A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1984.
- Offers 22 accelerated, career-focused program options including business administration, medical assisting, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- 11 campuses across California, with an online division as well.
- Financial Aid
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits