According to the Department of Labor, the FAA requires at least 1.5 years of work experience for certification. In addition, most aircraft mechanics have earned a 2 or 4-year degree from an FAA-certified school. Read More...
Airframe and Powerplant Schools & Training Programs
For many, working in aviation is a childhood dream, a distant possibility, like being an astronaut or a major league baseball player. But of all the dream jobs, aviation ones are surprisingly attainable.
In fact, if you have a high school degree, all you need is about a year and a half at a FAA licensed aviation school and you can join an industry that the US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts will only expand in the foreseeable future.
Airframe and Powerplant Schools - Specialties
Aviation maintenance is often broken down into specialties. Powerplant mechanics are authorized to work on engines and do limited work on propellers. Airframe mechanics are authorized to work on any part of the aircraft except the instruments, powerplants, and propellers. These specific disciplines are taught at airframe and powerplant schools.
The FAA requires at least 18 months of work experience for an airframe or powerplant, mechanic's certificate. Any airframe and powerplant schools should therefore offer that experience as part of their curriculum. According to the FAA, there are about 200 aviation schools, which would all function as airframe and powerplant schools as well.
For a combined A & P certificate, at least 30 months of experience working with both engines and airframes is required. Completion of a program at an FAA-certified mechanic school can substitute for the work experience requirement.
Applicants for certification must pass written and oral tests and demonstrate that they can do the work authorized by the certificate.
Training Offered at Airframe and Powerplant Schools
Most airframe and powerplant schools will also offer courses in mathematics, physics, chemistry, electronics, computer science, and mechanical drawing as they all demonstrate many of the principles involved in the operation of aircraft, and knowledge of these principles is often necessary to make repairs.
If aviation has always been your dream, airframe and powerplant school is a good way to get in the heart of the business.
- Designated as a 2016 Military Friendly School by Victory Media.
- Offers several aviation maintenance programs, including engineering, electronics, helicopter, and avionics technology.
- Tutoring and advising services are available to students at no additional cost.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- 11 campuses across the United States, with locations in California, Virginia, Texas, Indianapolis, Florida, and more.
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Online Courses
- Pursue Your Passion At UTI And Get State-Of-The-Industry Training!
- Features small class sizes and with class options in the day, evening, and weekend.
- Member of the Commercial Vehicle Training Association and a proud sponsor of HirePatriots.
- Offers lifetime job placement assistance, and financial aid to those who qualify.
- Programs are available in commercial truck driving and CDL driving training.
- Campus is located in Yuma, Arizona.
- Many programs require externships, allowing students to gain real-world experience.
- Approved A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1984.
- Offers 22 accelerated, career-focused program options including business administration, medical assisting, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- 11 campuses across California, with an online division as well.
- Financial Aid
- Dedicated to providing career training since 1975.
- Has 13 campus locations in Southern California and a campus in Morrow, GA.
- Provides flexible class times including weekends.
- Offers curriculum that ranges from 8 month diploma programs to 16-month Associate of Applied Science degree programs.
- Has admissions professionals available to help students decide which diploma or degree program they should pursue.
- Gives job placement assistance strengthened by relationships with local employers.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Morning, afternoon, evening and weekend classes are available.
- Offers lifetime career assistance services to graduates, including resume and cover letter assistance, employer networking, and one-on-one employment counseling.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 8 campuses located across California, with 3 additional campuses in New Hampshire and Maine and online options.
- Financial Aid